WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY ABOUT JEPTHAH?
Jepthah: Faith First, Family Follows
1. Put Faith First: Your Past Does Not Shape Your Future
(Judges 11:1-3) Now Jephthah the Gileadite was a mighty warrior, but he was the son of a prostitute. Gilead was the father of Jephthah. And Gilead's wife also bore him sons. And when his wife's sons grew up, they drove Jephthah out and said to him, “You shall not have an inheritance in our father's house, for you are the son of another woman.” Then Jephthah fled from his brothers and lived in the land of Tob, and worthless fellows collected around Jephthah and went out with him.
Fathers Fail Us, Mothers Abandon Us, Families Hurt Us, Friends Mislead Us
BUT...God Never Fails Us: Let Him Re-Shape You
(Isaiah 64:8) But now, O Lord, you are our Father; we are the clay, and you are our potter; we are all the work of your hand.
2. Family Follows Faith: Beware the Tragedy of Sacrificing Your Family on the Altar of Success
(Judges 11:30-31) And Jephthah made a vow to the Lord and said, “If you will give the Ammonites into my hand, then whatever comes out from the doors of my house to meet me when I return in peace from the Ammonites shall be the Lord's, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering.”
- Be Careful with Your Commitments
- Establish and Remember Your Priorities and Goals
- Saying No Frees You to Say Yes
- Be Cautious with Your Vows: Follow Through (James 5:12)
- Saying Yes to the Good Can Force You to Say No to the Great
3. Become Self-Less: Faith Is the Key for Success & Strength
(Judges 11:23, 27) the Lord, the God of Israel, dispossessed the Amorites from before his people Israel; and are you to take possession of them? ...The Lord, the Judge, decide this day between the people of Israel and the people of Ammon.”
(Joshua 1:8) This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.
Reprioritize Your Faith and Family...
- Place God First: Re-prioritize Your Motives
- Place Family Second – Don't Give Them Your Leftovers
- Place Your SelfLess and You Will Be Blessed More