WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY ABOUT PRAYER?
10 Reasons to Pray
- Encounter God - Pray is a meeting to intentionally and humbly communicate with God.
- Know God - Listening and speaking to Jesus enables us to know Him more personally.
- Glorify God - It pleases and honors God when we draw near to Him in prayer.
- Experience God’s Power - Prayers of the righteous are answered powerfully.
- Understand God’s Present Work - God desires to be related to and enjoyed daily.
- Look Forward to God’s Future Work - Submit and yield your future into His hands.
- Protect from Satan’s Attacks - We remember our real enemy in Satan, his demons, the world, and our flesh and are reminded that prayer is a spiritual weapon of offense and defense.
- Share True Hope with Others - We evangelistically pray for God’s saving work.
- Awareness of His Presence - Failing to pray means ignoring His constant presence with us.
- Obedience - God has commanded and taught us to relate to Him through prayer.
Top Books to Devotionally Guide Your Prayer
- Everyday Prayers: 365 Days to a Gospel-Centered Faith by Scotty Smith
- Pray for the World - by Patrick Johnstone
- The Valley of Vision: A Collection of Puritan Prayers & Devotions by Arthur Bennett
- Morning and Evening - Charles H. Spurgeon
- The Songs of Jesus: A Year of Daily Devotions in the Psalms by Timothy & Kathy Keller
- (for comfort, a compilation) Streams in the Desert by Mrs. Charles E. Cowman
- (for ladies) Whispers of Hope: 10 Week of Devotional Prayer by Beth Moore
- (for ladies) Praying God’s Word Day by Day by Beth Moore
Top 3 Books to Learn About Prayer & How to Pray
- Praying the Bible by Donald S. Whitney
- Prayer: Experiencing Awe and Intimacy with God by Timothy Keller
- George Müller: Delighted in God by Roger Steer
(Matthew 6:5-15, ESV)
Prayer is Personal Conversation
v.5-6 “And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.”
Prayer is Meaningful Conversation
v.7-8 “And when you pray, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do, for they think that they will be heard for their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.”
Prayer is God-Focused Conversation
v.9 Pray then like this: Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name.
10 Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us this day our daily bread,
12& forgive us our debts (sins), as we also have forgiven our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
14-15 For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.
Spend time praying over each of these areas
Adoration (of God)
“Our Father in heaven,hallowed be your name.” (Matthew 6:9 ESV)
Confession (of sins)
“and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.” (Matthew 6:12 ESV)
Thanksgiving (for His work)
“Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.” (Matthew 6:10 ESV)
(how can you ask God to help you or others)
“Give us this day our daily bread” (Matthew 6:11 ESV)
“And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.” (Matthew 6:13 ESV)
3 Ways to Prepare for Prayer
Make Your Focus God-ward “And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward.  But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.” (Matthew 6:5-6 ESV)
Ask Genuinely and Significantly “And when you pray, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do, for they think that they will be heard for their many words.  Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.” (Matthew 6:7-8 ESV)
Sincerely Show Mercy & Grace to Others “For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you,  but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.” (Matthew 6:14-15)
5 Ways to Pray for a Missions Team or Missionaries
Spiritual Health and Protection Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. (Ephesians 6:10-12 ESV)
Unity and Focus praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints, (Eph 6:18)
Spiritual Boldness & Clarity and also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains, that I may declare it boldly, as I ought to speak. (Eph 6:19-20)
Overcome Fear & Worry
- Fear not; you are of more value than many sparrows. (Lk 12:7)
- And he said to his disciples, “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat, nor about your body, what you will put on. (Luke 12:22)
Physical Health & Protection
- And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? (Lk 12:25)
- Beloved, I pray that all may go well with you and that you may be in good health, as it goes well with your soul. (3 John 1:2)
- Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. (James 5:14)
Check out these other helpful Trustworthy Word handouts on prayer:
- “30 Ways to Pray” - www.trustworthyword.com/30-ways-to-pray
- “100 Best Prayer Quotes” - www.trustworthyword.com/100-best-prayer-quotes
- “Prayer in the Psalms and Proverbs” - www.trustworthyword.com/prayer-in-psalms-and-proverbs
- “Bible Verses on Prayer” - www.trustworthyword.com/bible-verses-on-prayer