WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY ABOUT MONEY?
1. Everything Belongs to God – Genesis 1:1, Psalm 24:1, Haggai 2:8, 1 Corinthians 6:19-20
2. God Makes It Possible for You to Earn Money – Deuteronomy 8:18
3. An Entitlement Attitude is a Deadly Attitude - Achan (Joshua 7:10-26)
4. Prioritize God and Give to Him Before Anyone Else - Proverbs 3:9-10
5. God Blesses Those Financially Who Honor Him Financially – Proverbs 3:9-10
6. Don’t Work Hard to Get Rich – Proverbs 23:4-5
7. Desire Only Your Daily Needs – Proverbs 30:8-9
8. Riches Never Satisfy – Ecclesiastes 5:10-11
9. Not Giving to God = Robbing From God - Malachi 3:8
10. Stealing A Little Leads Towards Stealing A Lot - Judas (John 12:6, Matthew 26:15)
11. Do Not Give to Receive Praises of Men – Matthew 6:1-4
12. Store Up Treasures in Heaven – Matthew 6:19-20
13. Can’t Serve God and Money - Matthew 6:24
14. Pay Your Bills, As You Expect To Be Paid – Matthew 7:12
15. You Must Be Willing To Abandon Everything to Follow Jesus - Matthew 19:6-19, Mark 10:21
16. Investing In God Reaps Immense Dividends – Matthew 19:27-29
17. Faithfulness With Little Will Result In Being Entrusted With Much – Matthew 25:21
18. Impossible for Money-Lovers to Enter Into God’s Kingdom – Mark 10:25
19. Lavish Giving Out of Poverty – Poor Widow - Mark 12:43-44
20. Giving and Blessing Are Connected - Luke 6:38
21. Be Rich Toward God – Luke 12:19-21
22. Don’t Financially Commit to Something You Can’t Financially Finish — Luke 14:28-30
23. Must Give Up Rights Over Everything to Follow Jesus – Luke 14:33
24. Heart Change Results In Giving Change – Zacchaeus – Luke 19:8
25. What You Treasure, Reflects Your Heart’s Health – Luke 6:45, 12:34
26. The Early Church Shared Everything they Possessed – Acts 4:32, 2:44
27. Work Hard Because It Is More Blessed to Give than to Receive – Acts 20:35
28. Christians Ask and Contribute On Behalf of Other Christians and Missions Work – Acts 11:29-30; 12:25; 20:3-4; 24:7, Galatians 2:10, 1 Corinthians 16:1-4, 2 Corinthians 8-9, Romans 15:25-33
29. Ananias and Sapphira Die for False Giving – Acts 5:1-11
30. God Knows What We Give – Cornelius & Memorial Offering – Acts 10:2-4
31. We Will One Day Give An Account of Our Lives to God - Romans 14:10, 12
32. Don’t Associate with Greedy People who Claim to be Christians - 1 Corinthians 5:11
33. God Commands the Support of Gospel Ministers – 1 Corinthians 9:9,14
34. Give When You Get Paid and In Proportion to What You Get Paid or Given - 1 Corinthians 16:1-2
35. Given Even When You Are Extremely Poor, Sacrificially Beyond Your Means - 2 Corinthians 8:2-3
36. Equal Sacrifices Among All Believers – 2 Corinthians 8:7,13-14
37. Sow Little, Reap Little; Sow a Lot, Harvest a Lot – 2 Corinthians 9:6-9
38. Give With A Cheerful Heart - 2 Corinthians 9:7
39. Lavish Giving Pleases God - Philippians 4:18
40. Giving Generously Reflects A Trust in God’s Provision – Philippians 4:19
41. Stay Away from Lazy People – 2 Thessalonians 3:6
42. People Unwilling to Work Should Not Benefit (Eat) At Others’ Expense – 2 Thessalonians 3:10
43. Work Hard & Quietly; Earn Your Own Living – 2 Thessalonians 3:11-12
44. Not Providing for Your Family & Household = A Denial of Faith —1 Timothy 5:8
45. Be Content With What You Have – 1Timothy 6:6-7
46. Love of Money = Roots Of All Kinds of Evil – 1 Timothy 6:9-10
47. Rich Need to Be Humble and Generous – 1 Timothy 6:17-19
48. Everything Good You Have is From God – James 1:17
49. Lay Down Our Lives for Christ – 1 John 3:16-19
50. Not Giving to Meet Needs = Reason to Question One’s Salvation — 1 John 3:17
Questions on Money and Giving
How often do I need to give? As often as you are paid or receive money or income.
How much do I need to give? The tithe is a consistent biblical, joyous standard for giving, but the Christian should desire and seek to give offerings that go beyond it. Give proportionately to what you receive.
Do I tithe before (gross income) or after taxes (net income)? Scriptural giving always gives God the best, and gives to Him first. We should give proportionately to what we earn before taxes (gross income).
Is it ok to give to Christian charities instead of the church? Is it ok to designate my offering instead of giving to the “general fund”? Committed giving through the local church is the common theme of Scripture. This allows the church to prayerfully and corporately decide priorities and avenues of Gospel ministry through budgeting. Offerings beyond the tithe should be encouraged to go through designated offerings & charities.
I don’t have enough money to give. Can I just wait to have enough? God consistently tells us to prioritize him first in our giving. Often times our issue is not money flow in, but the money we’ve overspent or over committed. We must live within our means and be both faithful to give to God and faithful to pay our debts.
Quotes on Money and Giving
“Never be afraid of giving up your best, and God will give you His better.”
"The most obvious lesson in Christ's teaching is that there is no happiness
in having or getting anything, but only in giving."
“The cistern contains: The fountain overflows.”
"Get all you can, save all you can and give all you can."
"Give according to your income, lest God make your income according to your giving."
“You can give without loving, but you cannot love without giving."
“Feel for others – in your pocket.”
"Nothing I am sure has such a tendency to quench the fire of religion as the possession of money." J.C. Ryle
"It is prosperity that we cannot endure."
“God prospers me not to raise my standard of living, but to raise my standard of giving.”
"When blessed with wealth, let them withdraw from the competition of vanity and be modest, retiring from ostentation, and not be the slaves of fashion."
"Few are made better by prosperity, whom afflictions make worse."