WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY GOD IS LIKE?
The Characteristics of God
Outline Based on Wayne Grudem’s Christian Beliefs
- Knowable - but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me (Jeremiah 9:24)
- Independent - The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of heaven and earth, does not live in temples made by man, nor is he served by human hands, as though he needed anything, since he himself gives to all mankind life and breath and everything. (Acts 17:24-25)
- Unchangeable - “For I the Lord do not change” (Malachi 3:6)
- Eternal – Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever you had formed the earth and the world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God. (Psalm 90:2)
- Omnipresent – Where shall I go from your Spirit? Or where shall I flee from your presence? (Psalm 139:7)
- Spirit – “God is spirit” (John 4:24)
- Invisible – “No one has ever [fully] seen God” (John 1:18)
- Omniscient – “He knows everything” (1 John 3:20)
- Wise – “the only wise God” (Romans 16:27)
- Truthful – “The Lord is the true God” (Jeremiah 10:10)
- Good – “No one is good except God alone” (Luke 18:19)
- Love – “God is love” (1 John 4:8)
- Holy – “Holy, holy, holy, is the Lord of hosts.” (Isaiah 6:3)
- Righteous and Just – “All his ways are justice. A God of faithfulness and without iniquity, just and upright is he.” (Deuteronomy 32:4)
- Jealous – “I the Lord your God am a jealous God” (Exodus 20:5)
- Wrathful Towards Sin – “Whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.” (John 3:36)
- Freedom – “Our God is in the heavens; he does all that he pleases.” (Psalm 115:3)
- Omnipotent – “with God all things are possible” (Matthew 19:26)
- Perfect – “your heavenly Father is perfect.” (Matthew 5:48)
- Blessed – “God saw everything that he had made, and behold, it was very good.” (Genesis 1:31)
- Beautiful - “to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord” (Psalm 27:4)
- A Unity - “Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. (Deut 6:4)
- Wills – “if the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that.” (James 4:15)
- Exists - In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. (Gen 1:1)
Does God do evil? Is God responsible for evil? Why does God allow evil to exist? (Theodicy)
(Cold is the absence of Heat, Dark is the absence of Light, Evil is the absence of Good)
(James 1:13-14) Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am being tempted by God,” for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one. But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire.
(Job 1:21-22)“Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return. The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.”  In all this Job did not sin or charge God with wrong.
What does God’s “sovereignty” mean? How does it matter?
(Romans 11:33-36) Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways! [34 ] “For who has known the mind of the Lord,or who has been his counselor?” [35 ] “Or who has given a gift to him that he might be repaid?”[36 ] For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen.
What is God’s will? How can I know God’s will?
(Eph 1:11) according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will
(Jeremiah 9:24) but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the LORD who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the LORD.”